Saturday, June 11, 2016

MTB racing

Like I mentioned last time, it's been a good time to get out on the MTB, and the WM trail series has gotten started. The first event was called the "mittower XC," which was partly on the pro xc course at Marshall mountain, and partly on some new trail up above it. Mittower gulch is the next valley over from Marshall canyon and the new trail starts right on the ridge, if you were wondering where the name is from.

The Mittower course began with a start loop around the XC short track course, and then went down the pavement to climb a dirt road up to the new stuff. It was a long way up. I started the climb with Dan and Kory with a small lead on the rest of the group and then immediately couldn't stick with them. I just went backward from there, with 3-4 others catching me on the first climb. Just an off day I guess. On lap one, I think all the people in the category who were going to pass me went by, and then it started raining. Lap 2 was basically just solitary suffering for me. Water was running down the course, things were muddy and slippery. Also it was cold. Thankfully I had started the race with arm and leg warmers which helped, but even at the top of the climb I was not warm. There was mud in my eyes and I basically just wanted to make it to the bottom unscathed. I rolled across the finish in I think 7th, and thankfully the guys from Missoula Bicycle Works were there with shelter, a dry towel, and a warm grill to stand next to. I ate a burger, drank a beer, went and changed out of my wet kit, and then felt much better.

The next Wednesday was the first beer league. Instead of climbing the road, however, we went up the XC course and connected to the new trail in the same way as before. I think that course worked better, and this time ended up 5th. This was a bit of a wake up call for me that I need to ride more mountain bikes and get better and descending fast, because I got to the top of the climb at the same time as a few guys but then they beat me to the bottom by over a minute. And here I thought I was doing well with a few strava PRs this spring. It also rained a bit on lap 2, making that four wet races in a row.

Week 2 was at blue mountain, which was cool. Last year there were only three wed beer league races, all on the XC course. This time we get 5, and are supposed to be at snowbowl for the last one. My only complaint is that the course was a bit long, taking me a total of 1:30. I also went out a bit hard, chasing two faster guys, and blew up a bit on lap 2. Managed to stay in 3rd place though, but only because Evan had a mechanical issue with his chain. Then I had a hot dog with mac and cheese. Also Jed was out there with some gopros and posted a few screen shots.


Week 3 was back at Marshall, on a slightly shorter course because it was hot out. On my warm up lap I recorded something like 88 on the garmin up the first part of the climb. On the start line, I noticed a few fast people like Kory, Evan, and Micheal were missing, but on the climb Garrett from TCH took off and we had to chase him. We all strung out a bit and I was in 3rd, but then I caught 2nd before the top of the climb. At the bottom of the first part of the descent I passed Garrett (it was his first mtb race), and was in the lead. 2nd was not far behind me and I knew Jeff, who descends quite a bit faster than me, was back there too.



I was caught on the descent and going through the start/finish I got passed. Could also see Jeff a little ways back. I stuck on the leader's wheel up the climb until he waved me by just before the singletrack. I noticed he had struggled a bit on the steep switchbacks on lap one, so I made sure to ride them cleanly and quickly and got a bit of a gap that he had to close. After he had faded on the first lap and caught me on the descent I knew I needed more space. I attacked up to the top of the climb and managed to build a decent gap. Then I kept it upright and came out of the trees at the bottom of local glory with a small but comfortable lead, and got the win.

This next weekend is the missoula XC and we'll be riding the full course on wed. I am a little irritated right now though because I hurt my foot rafting and can barely walk right now. I'm told ice and ibuprofin for a few days is about all I need, but I might have to miss wednesday, which would suck because I have the series points lead and was supposed to help set up the pro xc course afterward. Here's hoping things get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment