Monday, May 16, 2016

Mountain Bike Season

After Speedwagon, Rocky mtb Roubaix, and the Hell Ride, it seems that "road" season in Montana is about over. Well, except for Wednesday Worlds. Now that the trails are clearing up and the days are longer, it's time to get out in the mountains. I had an issue with my freehub on about the 2nd ride out, plus my rear tire is all cut up, so I've only gone on about 3 mtb rides so far. I should probably go do that later.

Monday, May 9, 2016

2016 Montana Hell Ride

The hell ride I've been talking about happened a little over a week ago, on april 30th. Put on by The Cycling House, it covered about 83 miles of Montana roads, which means plenty of dirt. The ideal bike for something like that is fast and light, but also durable, and has big tires. If my road bike had been back together, I would have seriously considered riding it with 27-28mm tires. For about 90% of the course it would have been fine, but the other 10% was rocks and mud. Mostly passable on a road bike, but I was stuck with my cross bike so I went and bought another set of tires just for this event- Clement Strada LLG, in 32mm width which is new for this year.