Friday, November 19, 2021

Oh yeah I got a new bike - 2020 Kona Hei Hei CR review

So I wrote this like, a year ago? Didn't post it, probably because I sell konas. But did some work to the bike over the last season and was kind of bored and haven't posted in here in awhile and thought about writing about all the stuff I've done so far and found this. Still pretty accurate, but needs a followup that maybe I'll do later.


Finally, I have a modern, full suspension mountain bike. It's been a long time coming. As great as a hardtail xc bike is for around here, and for racing, I wanted something a little more appropriate for big days, rougher trails and steeper descents. 


The new Kona hei hei. 120mm front and rear suspension, 67.5 degree head tube angle, dropper post, carbon fiber, fox 34 step cast. It seemed like everything I wanted and more - still an XC bike, but more capable.

On real descents, big back country rides, and trails that aren't smooth dirt like we have around town, it's pretty fantastic. So fast, so smooth, so stable. Rocks you pick your way through and things you slow down for on a hardtail, you just float right through. It'll go faster than is appropriate for public trails and you'll feel calm and in control.  The difference between how this bike handles and feels compared to the old hardtail with a tall post and steep hta is huge, and getting back on the old bike is really strange and awkward. You have to remember how to ride it again and you're wondering how you ever managed.

Now, my gripe with this bike: Kona calls the hei hei an XC bike, but that kind of depends on your definitely of XC. If you think of XC as racing, yeah nah, it's not going to do that very well. If you consider XC as general "cross country" riding where you go long distances with good efficiency, then yeah, sure. It's that. But not the racey part. I'm sure that for a capable full suspension bike it feels light and fast, and if you're coming from an older, or longer travel full suspension, it'll seem like a rocket ship. But compared to a real XC race bike, it's heavy and slow. Almost every time I ride it, that's staring me in the face. It's minutes slower to the top of ravine trail, which I ride a lot. Trying to get on the pedals on the flatter sections and between corners, it's sluggish. The weight doesn't help (currently sits at 28.2lbs), but it feels like there's something else going on there. Even with the suspension all closed it feels like there's squish and twist and flex happening somewhere, and the bike just doesn't surge forward like you want it to.

So is that even a reasonable gripe? That my 28lb 120mm bike isn't an XC race bike? Maybe?

The other thing I'm not thrilled with are the parts. I thought, GX and guides, yeah that's what I have on the hardtail and i generally like it. Yes, it's what you'd expect on a bike in this price range, and they're not like, low end stuff, but at the same time I don't find them to be very good. The shifting, no matter how carefully I check hanger alignment, adjust the b-limit with the special tool, and fine tune indexing, just never seems to be quite right, especially making multiple shifts, and quick shifts under load like you might in an xc race. The GX 11 speed on my hardtail is way better- smoother, faster, more precise- even though you'd expect them to be about the same.

The guides also really lack power for a bike like this, something I never had an issue with on my hardtail. If anything, they were sometimes too much and I had trouble modulating the rear brake with xc tires. But those are RSCs, and apparently that swing link and bearings instead of bushings really make a difference. The hei hei's brakes are just weak. (they've been bled twice and the pads were bed in properly). I've found myself pulling the levers so hard it hurts my fingers and they just don't give the bite and braking force you want for confidence while descending.

The suspension is fine, but not fancy. The 3-position grip damper on the fork is not very useful, as I want it to be either open or closed. There's not really a good use for the middle spot that I've found although I do try it on smoother, more rolling trails. Still, it doesn't reduce bob enough while pedaling and then is just harsh over bumps. A low speed compression adjustment would be nice too, and I've already looked at what a fit 4 damper with lockout costs. The middle position on the shock, on the other hand, actually is pretty good and I use that more than fully open. I also changed the volume spacer (from 0.8 in2 to 0.4) so I could run a little higher pressure to get more support and a better balanced feel while still using most of the travel.

This bike is still pretty fun to ride though, especially when I'm on the right trails. I rode the alpine 7 trail this fall and it was the perfect bike. I never felt like it was too slow climbing and left the shocks in the middle setting pretty much all day. The other big ride was to the top of carlton ridge, down mill creek, and then up to the top of blue mountain the back way and down deadman's ridge. For stuff like that, it's perfect. I didn't make it over sheep mountain this year, but that's another spot where I'm sure this bike would shine.

On paper, it seemed like the perfect bike. In reality, I'm not in love with it. Maybe, but just maybe, if I had the fancy version with nicer parts and shocks (they were out), I would like it better. Maybe if I bought an XTR or XX1 group for it and better brakes and lighter wheels it would cut it on the climbs. IF it could pull that off it could be a do it all bike for me. But as it is, it feels like my issue isn't so much the weight as it is that the bike just isn't as efficient as I want. You notice it on flat ground, with the suspension closed, with the original light and fast tires.

Which leads me to a dilemma. What do I do when there's actual racing again? Try to upgrade it and make it light enough to get to the top of the xc course? Sell it and buy something else like the fancy xx1 version or a scalpel or scalpel se or orbea oiz/oiz tr? OR, just get a new hardtail to race and keep this as the more fun trail bike, possibly with a modest upgrade here and there?

I guess I have all winter to think about it.

In the meantime, this has been on some pretty fun rides







No comments:

Post a Comment