Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Cyclocross season

Last year was my first season racing cyclocross on an actual cyclocross bike (two years ago I used my mountain bike). In case you didn't know, cyclocross races are kind of like an obstacle course for bikes. There are barriers and stairs and hills that require you to jump off the bike, run through/over the obstacle, and then jump back on. Races last 45min to an hour and do multiple laps of a fairly short track. You don't really ever get to coast or relax like in other forms of racing.

What that means is that you had better be in good shape with some interval work, know how to corner well and conserve momentum, practice your mounts and dismounts, learn to bunny hop, and get some good tires.
This year, I was in better shape when CX season rolled around, had fresh Clement tires, and did a pretty good amount of riding and practice. Last year I picked my bike up tuesday and raced it wednesday, with very little work on skills. So, things went better for me. I ended up on the podium for men's B three times out of six wednesday night races. Of the other three, I had two dnfs due to flat tires and one 5th place (but that day was wet and slippery and my main goals were to finish and not crash). Then at rolling thunder I was 9th out of about 25 in cat 4, which is not where I wanted to be. So next year I need to do a few things. One is be in as good or better shape, but lighter. The next is to spend more time riding my cross bike and working on cornering and remounting. Third is to get wider tires on tubeless wheels, or go to tubulars. Other than that the bike is good although I would like to get it a little lighter and swap to a 1x11 drivetrain.

So anyway, it was a fun season, although I only did the beer league races and rolling thunder. It to would be nice to travel to some of the other races in the region but my budget would not allow that this year. I guess I should get a real job. Here's are some of the better pictures I've seen from this year, taken by me, my dad, Danny Hathaway, Myke Hermsmeyer, and John Siebert. I think that is everyone.




















No comments:

Post a Comment